Strong National Defense
We believe America’s military must be well prepared, well armed and ready to protect our national security interest. Thus we:
• Will deploy American troops overseas only to further American interests or to defend a faithful ally, and
• Under the command of American officers.
• Only commit to overseas actions when victory is clearly defined.
We reaffirm our support for our troops, including active duty members, Reserves, National Guard, veterans and their mission. We believe that:
• Active duty members' military income should be State income tax exempt.
• Retired and disabled veterans’ benefits should be protected.
• Minnesota law should recognize retired military personnel as veterans.
We will continue to support efforts to keep our nation safe. As Republicans, we support: • Denying foreign aid to any country that protects or supports terrorists.
• Continued development and deployment of defense systems and Strategic Missile Defense.
• Trying enemy combatants and non-U.S. citizen terrorists in military tribunals and not granting them U.S. Constitutional rights.
• Protecting our electrical grid from EMP attack.
Protect our Borders
We support immigration reform that first strengthens our borders against criminals, terrorism and illegal immigrants, but see no need to offer amnesty or a pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens to get it. More specifically we support:
• Increased border patrol funding and completion of the border fence.
• Limits on chain migration and an end to the visa lottery
• Opposition to any program allowing illegal aliens to remain in the United States.
• Require all employers to use E-verify to ensure jobs go to legal residents.
• Continued deportation.
• An end to birthright citizenship.
• More extensive background checks before issuing visas.
• Making English the official language in Minnesota and the United States, and
• Printing all government forms in English only.
• Limiting access of illegal immigrants to employment, public benefits, scholarships, subsidies of any kind, driver’s licenses, permits, identification cards or taxpayer identification numbers.
• Stopping un-vetted refugees from entering the country.
Support International Relations
We reaffirm our commitment to free market economics, including free and fair international trade. We seek to maintain commercial, cultural and diplomatic ties with many nations while also promoting American industry and commerce. We should maintain trade policies that encourage other nations to seek democracy, capitalism and individual freedom for their citizens. We should continue our efforts to become less dependent on foreign oil, including:
• The development and conservation of all fuel sources, including nuclear power.
• Opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and other domestic sources.
We believe foreign aid should, in most cases, be in the form of American goods, commodities and services. We oppose any surrender of U.S. sovereignty or liberty through the United Nations or its initiatives, such as:
• The Law of the Seas Treaty (L.O.S.T.).
• Agenda 21.
• The UN Rights of the Child Treaty.
• The World Bank and International Monetary Fund.
• All United States participation in the United Nations.
We continue to support the right of the State of Israel to exist and to defend itself.